Monday, January 05, 2009

Art-i-Chokes

The girls and I went grocery shopping the other day...yes, all four of us, but I will spare you the "ugly" details, lol...
So...we spent some time in the produce section where I let them pick out some vegetables (I'm tryin' to be a little more healthy...I guess you could call it a New Years resolution)...Brynley picked artichokes and Brooklyn picked mushrooms (out of all the...well, whatever...not gonna argue with her at the store) They've never EATEN artichokes, so I was a little worried that all the work to cook and eat them would go to waste, and then I'd have to cook something else, taking up even MORE time. Something I didn't want to do, especially being the lone parent here at home.
We all looked online to see how we wanted to cook them. The best way is to steam them, I guess, but I went with the easiest(the only way I roll right now)...boiling...The girls were all very interested in every step of preparing the artichokes. I drained them and set them all out on a plate, all fancy-like (well, as fancy as artichokes can get) and browned up some butter for the dip...gotta have the dip...(my dad taught me well, :) ). Everyone sat at the table, and before we could even say the prayer, Addyson was taking the leaves off the artichoke and dipping them in the butter...I convinced her to fold her arms to say the prayer finally, and after the prayer I demonstrated HOW to eat an artichoke...
I showed them how you dip the end with the "meat", turn it upside down, and scrape it with your teeth. Brynley asked which animal the "meat" came from...a cow? a pig? lol...she was glad to know that it wasn't from an animal...she's been a little freaked out that we actually eat cows and pigs and lambs...but she's really glad that we don't eat horses... :)
Addyson went to TOWN with the artichoke...maybe it was the dipping...well, whatever it takes! And we all know the best part is the artichoke heart right? Well, I'm the only one who ended up eating it. The girls didn't like it at all...which is fine with me...I'm just glad they all enjoyed their art-i-chokes!


Brooklyn looking at it VERY closely...she almost didn't try them because "it smells." She's very particular about her smelling...Somehow, I got her past that and she tried it and like it...phew...

Addyson going at it like a pro...you would have never guessed that she had never eaten one before. She almost fooled me!

Look how excited she is! She is SO loving the artichoke!

Brooklyn going at it...she's even got the napkin to catch the dripping butter...what good manners she has...

Brynley carefully examining...

Showing us the "scraping" technique...good job Bryn!

9 comments:

Jaime said...

Way to go girls! I wish my boy would dig into new vegetables like that! And I love me some artichokes!

Cara said...

how adorable !!! maybe they would like asparagus too since they all liked artichokes :) I am not a big fine on the "heart" either but i do like the "meat" of them :)
When does Ric head home? I know what is like with 3 alone :) :)

Jessica said...

Good idea to take the kids to pick our veggies! I might have to try that with Max. Looks pretty yummy!

Unknown said...

I am SO impressed. I'm not much of an artichoke fan myself...maybe I should try cooking it your way! Way to try new things, and actually get your kids to eat it!

Bennion Family said...

So cute!! You are inspiring me to try something new with my family. Looks like you guys had fun. And congrats on taking 3 kids grocery shopping. I am already getting anxiety over taking 2. I hope that Ric gets home soon.

Cheryl said...

We love artichokes. The butter to dip is the best part and I'm with you. I love the heart. Yum. Makes me want to go gets some.

Angie said...

We actually tried asparagas the other night! They all tried some...Brynley and I ate the most though...
Another week to go until Ric gets home and I CANnot get caught up on these dishes! Too much cooking...lol...

Connie J said...

that is awesome!!!!! My boys love veggies too... it is best to start them young :)

Jen said...

Hey Angie!! I FINALLY found your blog (after doing a little detective work on facebook) I LOVE it! You are so cute and so are your girls. I miss seeing you in primary now that we switched to senior. But hey basketball starts this week:)